Monday, April 13, 2009

On "Disposal" by Kieran J. Shea (3575 words) ****

You can't run from nuclear annihilation--just one of the things I learned from Shea's "Disposal," a story that at its start has all the juice one could wish from a narrative voice. It's pulp fiction done well--the tough-guy lilt, with low-class literary language to spare. I found myself reading just to hear the words. But there's a plot here to, something that fits within the whole pulp mileau, not something particularly original but enough to keep one interested when the language is right. And then . . . the story takes a turn that is rather unsettling. Read the story here at Demolition.

2 comments:

Kieran Shea said...

Gee, thanks. I don't know how you found me as I thought Bryon Quertermous dismantled DEMOLITION after "Disposal" was posted. But thanks for the kind words. Still writing sporadically, blogging too.
http://kieranjamesshea.blogspot.com/

thanks.

Short Story Reader said...

Yeah, looks like the journal is gone. A shame, because it was a good one.