Saturday, February 22, 2014

On "Dirt in the Blood" by Joshua Canipe (4585 words) ***

Canipe's tale is one of violence and love and the way that the two can transform one another and inform one another. The narrator comes from a military family, a set of men who are used to killing foreigners and who also are used to playing hero. If a woman has trouble, the men will protect her, even if it means going to jail. The narrator is not this sort. He's a medical student. There's no fight in him. So when his girlfriend gets beaten up, questions of love arise. What does protecting a loved one mean? And what are the excusable forms of violence? Read the story here at Trigger.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thank you for posting this story. It made me think. I usually don't comment on your site, but I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your hard work, gather all of these stories here. Thank you!

Short Story Reader said...

Thanks for reading my blog.